Friday, February 18, 2011

My 'Motor Cycle Diaries' Without Motor Cycle 2

  2. Pratapgarh  

 I took a taxi from Mahabaleshwar for Pratapgarh. Farukh was owner & a driver of taxi."35 minutes is what we need to be there" He told me before getting in. On the way to fort he stopped at various photogenic points saying, "Aap yaha khade raho. Yaha se aapaka mast photo ayega" Most of the times he took camera from me & cliked my photos.

"Bola thana 35 minutes" Yes he was correct.We reached to the parking area. There he introduced me to Santosh-a guide as if my body was given in a custody of him. I started following him. Jusr before main entrance He stopped a near a small cave. He took his postion, cleared his throat and started,


" It was 1671 when Afzal Khan attacked 'Swarajya'............ ..........................and today there is his Kabar" He finished story. Stopped looking at me and said"Lets move" 


His path was fixed. May be that was a 'critical path'. The only path through maximum points on the fort can be covered with least time. Time devoted to each spot was fixed. It was Santosh, who took charge my camera there. He was well trained with handling almost all kind of cameras. I didn't clicked a single photo there. 
    

We came to last point on the fort. There he started started telling me about deteriorating condition of fort. The Fort which once stood against power of might Mughals- now has surrendered it self to ther mercy of its own people. The fort whose stones were once laid the foundation of 'Swaraj' now were lose, dull, spread all over the place. Each stone was still strong enough to stand again. But this time there was no binding material. So each one was facing  same destiny. he told me there was financial aid from Govt, and not even from any political party who rose in the name of 'Maharaj'.


My trip to Prapgarh was over. Now I was travelling back to Hotel. I was just passing by Tomb of Afazal Khan. It was barricaded. I couldn't stop myself from asking about it. I knew some of the stories about it. Few months back there was riot in cities of Maharashtra on that Tomb issue.

I asked Farukh.
"Few months back there was huge demonstration, Morchas, Bandh. Political leaders rushed here leading crowd. For few days there was a curfew like situation here. I have never seen so much force in my life before. This tomb was in light"

He further added, " We are more worried about our bread and butter than anything else. We don't want any kind of bandh here. Not for any means. See its not we but those one who are not depend of income from this place did all that for their own benefit. We have people form different religion in our town. We never had problem against each other. If our town is not calm who will come here? What will we do then? Most of us are depend on income form a tourist like you. We don't want to lose it"   
I was looking out side the window. Taking glimpses of fort. 

Farukh dropped me back to main market. It was around six in the evening. Market was at its peak. Shops were full of peoples. I started walking towards my hotel. I saw Maharaj's statue in a square. I looked at it. It was calm. Just few steps ahead I saw a staute of Dr.Amedkar. From There I could see at both of them. They were looking calm and steady. Before I could to start walking back to hotel, I heard a 'Namaz' from near by Majjid. I again looked back to both statues. 


I saw them smiling........

No comments:

Post a Comment